Sunday, August 31, 2008

What I Just Thought.

I just watched the Michelle Obama Opening Key Address at Democratic National Convention in Denver on YouTube few minutes ago. Before suddenly I realized that her speech just gave me full inspiration about life. She opened up her speech by sharing her childhood story as a girl born and raised by struggling parent in southern Chicago. Her father worked for the city’s water plantation and her mom should stay at home to taken care of her and her older brother. She told so many important points of her life that she believed millions of other Americans also share the common sense and undergo the same experience of challenging life as her family did. She encourages the importance of having a dream and never let it down. Believe it or not, I cry my tears of admiration. This is the best political speech I ever heard from a nation’s first lady candidate. So close, touchy, and soulful.

I will no longer talking about her speech on this blog post. A point that I emphasized from her speech for myself is the common sense of family. How she define the word “Family”, as a sacred word of human being. How important the family is for her. She put all of her efforts to improve and taken care of not only her family, but also her society. The real meaning of “Giving Back” to the community we lived in. The point is the reality that she found in American middle class workers’ real life.

Those things just scramble my mind. I go deeper on defining the real meaning of “success”. I’ve been dreaming to be a successful entrepreneur for years. In the last few years, I’ve been so compassionate to the thing that people called as wealthy. Thinking about having my own company, being my own boss, make some money and earn some wealth. Besides also keep my idealism to create new working field to the others. I think it is just great idea of an 18-years old boy. Nothing’s wrong with my dream. Even some people think that, this is a brilliant idea of a future successful person. In the last few years, I am mostly thinking and dreaming to be a successful young entrepreneur. Sounds glamorous and glorious isn’t it ? Young, Independent, and Wealthy. What a great combination of success.

Then suddenly after I watched her speech, my dream and idealism about those glorious and glamorous life goals are just changed. She changed the way I define the word of success. She opened my eyes for the real thing that I should looking for in my life.

I am a second year student in one of the best economics faculty in the country. And fortunately enrolled as a student in one of the best university in the region. I studied Accounting, Economics, Business, Management, etc. and majoring in Economics and Business. Seems like I already started to undergo the path of my life plan. I think that I already have a clear vision about my life and my future. Until suddenly this afternoon, I decided to add a fundamental aspect of my life plan. Like planning to grow a tree, maybe I already imagine how the leaves and the branches would be. But I somehow forgot to think and imagine how the roots would like. I made a great planning of growing the leaves and branches of my tree, with ignoring the basic concept of the roots. The thing that will remains, whatever the tree is going to be.

I just realized the ultimate goal of my life is to be a full family man. To be a serving son for my parents, a nice brother for my siblings, a good husband for my wife and finally to be a great father for my child. I should be a real family man. There are tough consequences to be a successful person, in terms of career and business. It requires you to give your full efforts, focus, time and energy to deal with it. I knew it for sure, since I was a little child. Since my father is an entrepreneur. But the thing is, I no longer think that being such successful person in terms of business and career as my life goal.
I don’t want to be somewhere else during my business trip, by the time my son or daughter get sick and has to see the doctor at the hospital. I don’t want to let my driver to drive my son and daughter to school every morning, just because i am still sleeping after overnight work. I don’t want to say happy birthday to my children and wife by a phone call just because I have to travel to somewhere around the globe to attend company meetings. I don’t want someone asking where I am on the day of my parent funeral, just because I have to sign a business deal with my buyers on the other continent. I want to be the person that could be alongside my parents at the last time of their life, before they pass away.
I want to do all those family matters by my self. I would like to prove them that I am deserve to be called as a son, husband, and father, by those persons I love most in my life.

No comments: